Revolution Update: October 12, 2010
NEW ENGLAND VS. KANSAS CITY SERIES INFORMATION
- Kansas City leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two teams, 20-11-8.
- Saturday night’s match will be the second and final meeting between the Revs and Wizards in the 2010 regular season … New England suffered a 4-1 road loss against Kansas City on Aug. 21.
- Kansas City holds a 10-5-5 edge against the Revs in games played in Foxborough, including a 7-1-5 mark at Gillette Stadium … the lone New England victory at Gillette Stadium came Aug. 2, 2007, a 2-0 win.
- The Revs are 0-5-1 in their last six regular-season meetings with the Wizards … prior to that stretch, New England had won three straight games against Kansas City from Aug. 2, 2007 to April 9. 2008.
- Since the start of the 2006 season – all meetings spanning the last five seasons – New England is just 3-7-5 against Kansas City, including 14 regular-season meetings and one SuperLiga contest in 2009.
- The Wizards won the 2009 regular-season series, 2-0-1 … New England lost both of its matches at Kansas City and tied the Wizards at Gillette Stadium … New England and Kansas City also played to a 1-1 draw at Gillette Stadium during the SuperLiga 2009 group stage.
- The Revolution won six of its first 11 meetings with the Wizards in the all-time series, but New England has struggled against Kansas City since … the Revs are 5-15-8 in their last 28 meetings with the Wizards dating back to 2000.
- There has been at least one red card issued in five of the last six meetings between the Revs and Wizards in all competitions … New England has had four players ejected in that stretch, while Kansas City has had one.
PLAYER NOTES VS. KANSAS CITY
- Taylor Twellman leads the Revs with five career goals against Kansas City in 16 appearances, while he’s also added three assists.
- Shalrie Joseph has three goals and three assists in 19 career appearances against the Wizards … his most recent tally came in a 3-1 loss at CommunityAmerica Ballpark on June 13, 2009.
- Kenny Mansally has two goals and one assist in five career appearances against Kansas City … he scored in the teams’ last meeting on Aug. 21 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, a 4-1 loss.
- Matt Reis is 5-8-6 in his Revolution career against Kansas City, posting a 1.47 goals against average and five shutouts … he made a career-high 11 saves in the Revolution’s scoreless draw with the Wizards on July 11, 2009.
NEWS AND NOTES
SATURDAY IS FAN APPRECIATION DAY
Saturday’s home match is the final match of the season at Gillette Stadium, and is also the team’s annual Fan Appreciation Night … among the highlights of the night for fans are the “Shirts off their Backs” giveaway, a full team autograph alley, random seat upgrades and many in-game giveaways to fans in the stands.
TEAM AWARDS ANNOUNCED SATURDAY
The Revolution annual team awards will be announced on Saturday at the Kansas City match … the team’s MLS W.O.R.K.S. Humanitarian of the Year and Defender of the Year will be announced and recognized in a pregame video package, while the team Most Valuable Player will be presented in a pregame ceremony after the teams’ procession out to the field … for the first time in recent memory, the fans selected the MVP during a 10-day voting period, while the team’s beat media elected the defender of the year.
AUCTION TO BENEFIT KOMEN MA ENDS SUNDAY
On Sunday, the New England Revolution Charitable Foundation will close its online auction at biddingforgood.com with pink and pink-accented game-used and game-worn items from the Oct. 2 match against Real Salt Lake … all proceeds from the online auction will be donated to Komen MA – the Massachusetts Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure – who partnered with the Revs for its Breast Cancer Awareness match last Saturday … among the items up for bid are:
- Matt Reis’ custom-made pink goalkeeper jersey worn on Oct. 2
- all 10 starting field players’ jerseys – autographed and including the MLS W.O.R.K.S. breast cancer awareness patch on the chest
- team-autographed pink adidas game balls (3)
- team-autographed MLS W.O.R.K.S. breast cancer awareness scarf
- team-autographed pink Gatorade sideline towel
- Kevin Alston’s autographed pink/white/black adidas cleats
MANSALLY, NYASSI SET TO RETURN FROM GAMBIA CAMP
Gambia internationals Kenny Mansally and Sainey Nyassi are set to return to the Revs this week at training after joining their national team for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Burkina Faso, which the Scorpions lost 3-1, on Saturday, Oct. 9 … Nyassi again started in the midfield, while Mansally came in off the bench.
MAN-POWER DOWN AGAIN
After traveling and dressing only 15 players in Sunday’s match at Houston, the Revs will continue to be short-handed on Saturday against Kansas City despite the return of the Gambian internationals … midfielder Pat Phelan and defender Cory Gibbs will be forced to sit out Saturday’s match while serving a one-game yellow-card accumulation suspension … both players picked up their fifth yellow cards of the season in the first half against Houston.
Kheli Dube’s game-winning goal at Houston on Sunday had an air of familiarity about it … that’s because a very similar situation happened just more than one month ago at home against Seattle … for the second time this season, while playing on the right wing for Sainey Nyassi who was off on international duty, Dube scored a goal … but the similarity doesn’t end there as Ilija Stolica also assisted on both goals.
SHUTTLEWORTH STEPS IN
Bobby Shuttleworth made his third-career start in goal on Sunday, replacing Matt Reis who served as the back-up … Shuttleworth made a career-high six saves in the winning effort – his second career win – and his first win in a game in which he started … Shuttleworth last saw action on Aug. 28, when Philly earned a come-from-behind win in stoppage time at Gillette Stadium.