Revolution Update: September 19, 2010
NEW ENGLAND VS. DALLAS SERIES INFORMATION
- The Revolution leads the all-time, regular-season series with FC Dallas (formerly the Dallas Burn), 22-10-2 … the Revs are 11-5-1 on the road against the Hoops, while they are 11-5-1 against Dallas at home, including a 6-1-1 mark at Gillette Stadium.
- Wednesday’s match is the second and final meeting between the Revs and Hoops this season … in the first meeting on May 1 at Gillette Stadium, the teams played to a 1-1 draw.
- New England’s regular-season winning percentage against Dallas is .662, which is their best winning percentage against any team in MLS against whom they’ve played at least 10 matches.
- The Revolution split the two-game season series against FC Dallas in 2009 … the Revs earned a 2-1 victory over Dallas in their 2009 home opener and dropped a 1-0 decision to the Hoops at Pizza Hut Park on Sept. 30, 2009 … the loss was New England’s first in the series since a 4-0 setback at FC Dallas on May 20, 2006.
- New England is 14-4-1 against Dallas under head coach Steve Nicol dating back to 2002 and holds a 10-2-1 advantage over the Hoops since 2004.
- New England is undefeated (6-0-1) in the last seven matches against FC Dallas at Gillette Stadium dating back to 2004.
- The Revs defeated Dallas, 3-2, to win their first-ever cup championship in the U.S. Open Cup Final on Oct. 3, 2007.
PLAYER NOTES VS. DALLAS
- Taylor Twellman is New England’s all-time leading scorer against Dallas with 14 goals, a figure that marks his greatest total against any MLS team … Twellman has scored his 14 goals in just 13 appearances, and seven of those strikes have been game-winners.
- Cory Gibbs was a member of FC Dallas in 2004 (Dallas Burn at the time), when he played an MLS career-high 21 games and registered his only assist before transferring to Europe in the offseason … Gibbs spent three seasons in Europe before returning to MLS with Colorado in 2008.
- Sainey Nyassi scored one of his six career goals in the Revs’ last victory over Dallas on April 4, 2009 … Nyassi earned goal of the week honors for his left-footed strike from just outside the box.
- Zack Schilawski also recorded one goal in the teams’ earlier meeting this season.
- Matt Reis is 9-3-0 in his New England career against Dallas, posting a 1.33 goals against average and five shutouts.
NEWS AND NOTES
TEAM COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECT ON THE HORIZON
On Sunday, Sept. 26, the Revs will attend the culmination of the team’s community service project at Children’s Hospital Boston’s Yawkey Family Inn in Brookline ... in conjunction with Major League Soccer’s charitable arm, MLS W.O.R.K.S., and inspired by First Lady Michelle Obama’s “Call to Service” in conjunction with September 11, the Revs will complete the installation of a year-round greenhouse outside the Inn - which the Revs and MLS W.O.R.K.S. have donated - and finish plantings for both inside the greenhouse and outside in the landscaping ... following a fall theme, the team will also be on hand for fun fall activities, including pumpkin painting, cookie decorating and front-yard soccer action, and wrap up the day with a back-yard barbeque for the more than 100 attendees who rely on Children’s Hospital Boston for low- or no-cost housing while young family members receive treatment at the hospital.
ROAD WARRIORS AND TIME TRAVELERS
The Revs are heading into the final leg of a three-game road swing that has made them road warriors … this leg of the schedule began at Chivas USA on Sept. 10, and continued this past weekend at Colorado … now, the team heads directly to the Dallas area to face FC Dallas on Wednesday … in a two-and-a-half week span, the Revs will have spent time in all four continental U.S. time zones and will have traveled 9,150 miles in a 16-day span to complete the trips.
HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF, BUT BACKWARDS
In 2009, the Revs also traveled to Colorado and Dallas in a multi-game trip … however, last year’s trip was in reverse order of the 2010 journey … in 2009, the Revs started the two-game trip in Dallas on Wednesday, Sept. 30, dropping a 1-0 match at the Cotton Bowl ahead of the Mexico-Colombia match … the following day, the team traveled to Denver and regrouped to take a 1-1 draw to close the trip on Saturday, Oct. 3 … this season, the team began in Denver – dropping a 3-0 decision to the Rapids on Saturday night – before flying to Dallas to complete the trip.
WEST COAST WOES CONTINUE …
In 2010, the Revs have posted a 3-8-2 overall record against teams in the Western Conference, including an 0-6-0 record on the road following Saturday’s loss at Colorado … after starting the season 0-6-2 against the West, the Revs had earned three consecutive wins against Western teams (July 10 vs. LA, Aug. 14 vs. Houston and Sept. 4 vs. Seattle), however all three of those games were at home … with two of the team’s final three road matches in western markets, the club now has just two chances remaining to pick up its first road wins in the West this year.
… WHILE ROAD ISSUES ALSO CONTINUE …
Overall this season, New England is just 1-10-1 on the road, with the team’s lone away win coming in the second week of the season – a 2-0 victory at D.C. United on April 3 … since that time, the Revs have gone winless in their last 10 road matches, dating back to April 17 at San Jose … the team’s lone draw came on July 31, when the team pulled out a 1-1 draw at league newcomer Philadelphia Union.
… AND DALLAS COULD JUST BE THE TICKET TO CHANGE
While the Revs are so far winless on the road against Western teams this year, the upcoming game – at FC Dallas on Wednesday – could be just what the team needs to snap the streak … all-time, the Revs are 22-10-2 against Dallas, including an 11-5-1 mark in road matches … in fact, the Revs are 6-1-1 against Dallas in the teams’ last eight meetings … the loss – a 1-0 defeat at the Cotton Bowl on Sept. 30, 2009 – was the team’s first in the entire state of Texas during the MLS regular season since 2006 (a 4-0 loss at Dallas on May 20).
DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWN …
Saturday night’s match at Colorado marked the eighth time in 12 matches that the Revs conceded two or more goals on the road this year … the 3-0 loss against the Rapids was the fourth straight away game in which the team allowed two or more goals … the Revs’ 2.25 goals against average on the road ranks 16th out of 16 teams in MLS … only two other teams – Philadelphia and Houston (both 2.00) – allow two or more goals per game.
… AND SCORING TROUBLES
New England has been shut out nine times this season through 24 games, the highest mark since the 1999 season when the Revs were blanked a club-record 10 times in the 32-game schedule … the team’s 24 goals overall ranks 13th out of 16 teams, and the Revs’ 1.00 goals per game average ranks 14th of 16 teams.
SCORING TROUBLES MAGNIFIED ON THE ROAD
Saturday’s 3-0 shutout at Colorado marked the seventh time the Revs had been shut out on the road this year … additionally, the team’s 0.58 goals per game scoring average is 16th of 16 teams … in 12 road matches this year, the team has scored seven goals … the two goals scored at D.C. on April 3 in a 2-0 win, and at Columbus on May 8 in a 3-2 loss mark the only occasions this year the team has scored more than one goal on the road.
In years past, veteran players like Jay Heaps, Steve Ralston and Taylor Twellman dotted the top of the Revs’ stats for starts and appearances … with those players retiring, coaching and recovering, respectively, this season, a new set of names are at the top of the team’s appearance and starts charts … Pat Phelan (23 appearances, 25 yrs. old), Sainey Nyassi (23 appearances, 21 yrs. old.) and Chris Tierney (22 appearances, 24 yrs. old) are the team’s new stalwarts, and all 25 years old or younger.
The Revolution is competing against the 15 other MLS teams for a $50,000 Pepsi Refresh Project grant ... the Revs’ project idea is to provide free CPR and AED training to 500 youth soccer coaches throughout New England ... every year, 1 in 100,000 children participating in sports suffers a cardiac-related accident on the field or in the arena ... the Revs want to make our region’s youth soccer fields safer for our communities and families ... fans can vote for the Revs’ Pepsi Refresh idea up to 25 times every 24 hours at www.mlssoccer.com/pepsirefresh... the contest ends tomorrow – Monday, Sept. 20 – at 11:59 p.m. ET.