Revolution Update: March 22, 2010
NEW ENGLAND VS. LOS ANGELES SERIES INFORMATION
- Saturday night’s match will be the 32nd all-time, regular-season meeting between the Revolution and Galaxy … with a sweep of last season’s games, LA took the lead in the series, 14-12-5.
- The Revolution’s losses to the Galaxy in 2009 were the club’s first setback in the regular-season series since April 3, 2004 … prior to the loss, New England had gone 6-0-3 in its previous nine regular-season meetings with LA.
- The Revolution lost a season series to the LA Galaxy in 2009 for the first time since 1999 … LA won the first four season series (1996-1999) between the two clubs, but nine consecutive series (2000-2008) were either been won by the Revs or finished tied until last year.
- The Revs are 4-9-3 all-time when playing the LA Galaxy on the road … the Revolution last won in LA on July 4, 2008.
- Saturday's mtch marks the third time the Revs open their season at the LA Galaxy (2004, 2006)
- New England and LA have met in the MLS Cup Playoffs twice – both the 2002 and 2005 MLS Cup Final … the Galaxy won both meetings in overtime, 1-0 … the 2002 meeting was in Foxborough, while the 2005 match was at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.
- The Revs and Galaxy have played one U.S. Open Cup match – the 2001 championship game in Fullerton, Calif. … LA won that game, 2-1, in overtime.
PLAYER NOTES VS. LOS ANGELES
- Taylor Twellman leads the Revs with eight career goals against LA, while he’s also added three assists in 15 appearances … he will be unavailable for Saturday night’s match, however, as he is rehabilitating from a neck injury and concussions, which he initially suffered in the teams’ meeting at Gillette Stadium on Aug. 30, 2008.
- Shalrie Joseph has recorded four goals and two assists in 13 career appearances against the Galaxy, marking his best offensive output against any team … Joseph scored the game-tying goal in the 2-2 draw with LA the last time the two teams met at Gillette Stadium on Aug. 30, 2008.
- Edgaras Jankauskas made his MLS debut against the Galaxy in the season’s previous meeting on July 4
- Cory Gibbs recorded his only career MLS goal against the Galaxy in 2008, a strike that won MLS Goal of the Week while he was with Colorado.
- Matt Reis – who made 39 appearances for the Galaxy from 1998-2002 – is 5-2-3 in 10 regular-season matches against his former club … he has recorded three shutouts while maintaining a 0.89 goals against average … Reis will be unavailable for the 2010 season opener as he recovers from offseason shoulder and knee surgery
- Preston Burpo has made six appearances against the Galaxy - all starts - posting a 1.67 goals against average with a 2-2-2 record and one shutout.
Los Angeles 2, New England 1
August 8, 2009 – Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
The Revs lost the game and a season series to the LA Galaxy for the first time since 1999. Trailing 2-0 late in the game, Steve Ralston gave the Revolution hope when he tallied on a penalty kick in the 83rd minute, the Revs never got a chance to equalize. Head Coach Steve Nicol was forced to watch the match from a suite while he served the first of a two-game suspension. The loss snapped a four-game unbeaten streak for the Revs and the Galaxy enjoyed their first victory in Foxborough since 1999, snapping an 0-7-2 skid.
NEWS & NOTES
On Saturday, March 20, Major League Soccer announced that the League and the MLS Players Union had reached a new, five-year collective bargaining agreement … the deal was agreed upon in the 11th hour, just three days before a threatened players strike and five days before the MLS was scheduled to kick off its 15th season … as a result, the league's 2010 will kick off as scheduled, and will begin on Thursday, March 25, when league the league newcomer Philadelphia Union travels to Seattle Sounders FC for a nationally-televised match on ESPN2.
REVOLUTION WRAP UP PRESEASON
The Revs wrapped up its preseason training in dramatic fashion this past weekend, earning a 2-1 victory on the road against the USSF D2 Carolina RailHawks in Cary, N.C. ... Pat Phelan’s header off Kenny Mansally's corner kick in the 41st minute of play had his team in command until the final moments … the RailHawks leveled the score in the 86th minute and the game seemed destined for a draw … however, one minute later when hometown hero - and Cary, N.C. product - Zack Schilawski pounced on a rebound and tallied the game-winner at his home town stadium with 60 friends and family watching from the stands … the win put the Revs at 3-1-1 to finish the preseason.
REVS TURN TO GALAXY
The New England Revolution opens the 2010 MLS season on Saturday, March 27 on the road against the LA Galaxy … the match will take place at the Home Depot Center and is slated to begin at 11 p.m. ET … 2010 marks the fifth time in the last seven years the Revs open their season on the West Coast (2004, 2006 and 2010 in LA; 2005 and 2009 in San Jose) … the Revs are 1-1-0 in their previous two season openers against the Galaxy (3-2 loss in 2004, 1-0 win in 2006).
The New England Revolution return to Boston after an eventful and productive trip to North Carolina … the excursion covered more than 1,500 miles of travel, 12 nights in a hotel, seven training sessions, four guest players, three preseason games, two developmental contracts signed by 2010 draftees Zak Boggs and Seth Sinovic, the re-signing of Darrius Barnes and one brand new collective bargaining agreement for the League and players union … the Revs finished with a 2-0-1 record on the trip and a 3-1-1 mark on the preseason schedule.
PRESEASON SCORING WRAP-UP
The Revolution finished the 2010 preseason with a record of 3-1-1 … After losing to FC Dallas 2-0, the Revs went unbeaten for the duration of camp … rookie first-round draft-pick Zack Schilawski led the Revolution with four goals and one assist in five games … Kenny Mansally tallied two goals and one assist, while Shalrie Joseph and Kheli Dube netted one goal and two assists apiece … Sainey Nyassi scored one goal and one assis,t and Emmanuel Osei and Pat Phelan netted one goal ... Nico Colaluca had one assist.
When the Revolution selected Wake Forest's Zach Schilawski with the ninth overall selection in the 2010 SuperDraft - when other, more well-known names were still on the board - some people may have questioned the Revs' choice ... however, after a stellar and attention-getting preseason effort - which included four goals and one assist - the Revolution's plan seems to be falling into place ... Schilawski has been the Revs most productive player in preseason, and has gained attention for his dynamic forward play in his five starts.
WHO'S BACK IN 2010
The 2010 New England Revolution returns 16 players from the 2009 roster, including last season’s club MVP and MLS MVP Finalist Shalrie Joseph, who is entering his eighth season in the league … joining Joseph on the list of returnees is the Revolution’s all-time leading goal scorer, Taylor Twellman, who looks to return in 2010 after missing the 2008 postseason with a concussion, and a most of the 2009 season with whiplash-type injuries sustained during the initial injury … the team returns eight full-time starters from the 2009 season: Joseph, Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Kheli Dube, Kenny Mansally, Sainey Nyassi, Emmanuel Osei and Matt Reis … additionally, Gabriel Badilla, Mauricio Castro, Nico Colaluca, Edgaras Jankauskas, Pat Phelan, Bobby Shuttleworth, Chris Tierney and Mike Videira also return to provide the Revolution with a core group of experienced players.
NICOL'S NEXT WIN
With his team's next victory, head coach Steve Nicol will have reached the 100-win plateau ... he would become just the third coach in league history to reach the 100-goal plateau, joining Seattle's Sigi Schmidt (125) and current U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bob Bradley (124 wins) ... Nicol is the league's longest active coach.
BARNES RE-UPS WITH REVS
Second-year defender Darrius Barnes has re-signed with Major League Soccer to play for the Revolution … last year, Barnes became only the second rookie in MLS history to play every minute of every game and was the only field player to do so last year … drafted in the third round (40th overall) in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, Barnes was one of the Revolution’s starting central defenders last year.
REVOLUTION TO UNVEIL NEW WEBSITE
The New England Revolution will launch a brand new website this week … the website will feature more media content including more stories, videos, blog posts, audio podcasts and behind-the-scenes features … the website changeover is part of a league wide initiative for a more interactive fan experience with new websites for every MLS team … the address for the new site remains the same: www.revolutionsoccer.net.
The New England Revolution Under-16 and Under-18 squads were back in action this past weekend when they traveled to New Jersey for two games each … the U15s defeated NJSA on Saturday by a 3-2 count, as Diego Fagundez (Leominster, Mass) led the U16s with two goals and an assist … on Sunday, the U16s shut out Match fit by a score of 2-0 as Alan Florez Pino (Lowell, Mass.) and Devin Devoy (North Attleboro, Mass.) tallied for the Revolution … the U18s yielded an early goal, but came back with four straight to beat NJSA on Saturday … four different players tallied for the U18s … on Sunday, the Under-18s had their five-game win streak snapped when they fell 4-0 to Match Fit … the Baltimore Bays travel to Lancaster, Mass. on Sunday, March 28 to take on the Revs at Citizens Bank Fields.
PARTNERSHIP WITH COMCAST SPORTSNET ANNOUNCED
The New England Revolution and Comcast SportsNet announced that the regional sports network will be the team’s exclusive television partner in New England in 2010 … all Comcast SportsNet telecasts will be delivered in High Definition beginning April 3 when the Revolution travel to face D.C. United in Washington, D.C. … veteran soccer broadcaster Brad Feldman is back in the booth for his 10th season and will be joined by recently-retired, 11-year MLS veteran Jay Heaps as color analyst … Heaps spent nine seasons with the Revolution and holds several club records … Kraft Sports Group will again produce every regionally-televised Revolution match.
REVS TO FACE NEW YORK/PHILLY WINNER IN OPEN CUP
As the top seed in the MLS play-in bracket for the 2010 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, the Revolution will travel to play winner of the New York Red Bulls-Philadelphia Union play-in game … home venues for the first round of the play-in bracket were determined by coin flip on Tuesday, March 2 … the No. 1 seeded Revs lost a coin toss and will therefore play the winner of the NYRB-PHI game on the road … the date, time and location of the game will be announced at a later time.
INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS ON SALE
Individual game tickets are now on sale for all 15 regular season home games in the 2010 season including the Revolution home-opener, slated for Saturday April 10 at 7:30 p.m. against Toronto FC ... individual tickets start at $20 and can be purchased by calling 1-877-GET-REVS or through all Ticketmaster outlets, including ticketmaster.com and 1-800-745-3000 … visit revolutionsoccer.net for more information about premium seating options, season tickets or multi-game packages.